IIS - create well-known folder
Using file validation it is required to place a file on a specific folder location on the web server. The location needs to be an hidden directory, usually this is done by adding a dot in front of the folder name. Simply adding a dot in front of the folder name is not possible within Windows Server. There are two workarounds:
End with a dot
- Create a new folder within the file structure of your (web)server and name it ".well-known.", do not forget the dot at the end.
- The folder is now reachable via the internet.
- Create a folder on the C-drive, name it “well-known”. In the recent created folder create another folder named pki-validation. Example:
- Place the text file in the “pki-validation” folder.
- Open the IIS Manager on the server, right click on your site and select Add Virtual Directory....
- In the Alias entry fill in “.well-known” and in the Psychical Path entry fill in the path to the Well Known folder. Example:
- End with OK, the folder and files within should work properly now.