IIS - Backup Certificate and Private Key to pfx File
We strongly advise you to always make a backup of the Private Key and the certificate. That way the certificate can be restored in case of technical problems.
Open the Local Machine certificate store
- Start the MMC using Start ? Run ? type mmc.
- Go to the Console Tab ? File ? Add/Remove Snap-in.
- Choose Computer Account.
- Choose Local Computer.
- Select Certificates.
- Close the Add Standalone Snap-in window.
- Click OK in the Add/Remove Snap-in window.
- Open the Certificates Console Tree.
- Find the folder named Personal ? Certificates.
- Select the certificate of which a backup has to be made.
- Right-click the file and click All Tasks ? Export.
- The Certificate Export Wizard will start. Click OK.
- Choose export the private key and click Next.
- Use the defaults settings and click Next.
- Choose a password to secure the backup and click Next.
- Save the file in a secure location. The backup has a .pfx extension.
- Click Finish.
- The message The export was successful is shown when the export finishes. Click OK.