Windows Server 2016 Essentials - Generate CSR
This manual is for Windows Server 2016 Essentials. The Access Anywhere wizard will be used to create a CSR. Generating a CSR is also possible in IIS.
A Certificate Signing Request (CSR) is required when applying for an SSL certificate. This CSR (and private key) can be generated on your webserver. To request a wildcard certificate, fill in an * (asterisk) for the subdomain, for example *.sslcertificaten.nl (instead of www.sslcertificates.nl).
- Open the Windows Server Essentials Dashboard via Start → Windows Server Essentials → Windows Server Essentials Dashboard.
- Choose Set up Anywhere Access and select on the right side Click to configure Anywhere Access.
- In the next screen click Next.
- Select I want to use a domain name I already own and fill in your domain name. Click on Next.
- Assuming that the server is configured besides the certificate, select I have manually configured my domain name and click Next.
- Select the last option I want to purchase a trusted SSL certificate for the domain name, followed by Certificate request details and fill in your organisation information. End by clicking OK and Next.
- You will be presented the generated CSR. Copy the CSR and save it in a text file. Click Next.
- At the final step select My certificate provider needs more time to process the request, click Next.
To order a certificate, copy the entire contents of the generated CSR, including the first and last line and all dashes.