Apache Tomcat - Certificate installation
Immediately after being issued, your SSL certificate will be sent to you by email. It is also possible to download the certificate from the Control Panel. The file containing the certificate will have the same name as the domain name it is meant for (for example: www_sslcertificaten_nl.crt).
Apache Tomcat uses the java keytool-command to manage certificates. With the manual Java Keytool - Installation certificate using the keytool the certificate can be installed.
After the certificate is installed, the server still needs to be configured so that it will make use of the keystore. The SSL Connector needs to be configured for this.
Configuratie SSL Connector
- Start Tomcat.
- Browse to http://localhost:8080/admin and log in to an administrators account.
- Select Service at the left(Java Web Services Developer Pack).
- Choose Create New Connector from the dropdown menu on the right.
- Choose HTTPS in the Type field.
- Enter 443 in the Port field.
- Enter the keystore details; if you followed the directions in the manual, it will be in /etc/ssl/cert/ and the name will be the domain. Example: www_sslcertificaten_nl.jks.
- Click Save to save the new connector, and then click on Commit Changes to save the changes to server.xml.
- Restart Tomcat. The certificate is now active.
All necessary steps to install your web server certificate have now been completed. Please make sure to adequately secure your certificate files, and to store a backup of your private key and web server certificate in a safe location. You should also install the root and intermediate certificates. Check whether the certificate is correctly installed with the SSLCheck and ensure an optimal configuration with these tips and settings.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you encounter problems or error messages.